16 October 2007

Attack of the Bridezilla

A New York City bride sued her florists because they used the wrong color of hydrangeas. Cost of the flowers: $27,435.14. Amount of requested restitution: $400,000.

Apparently getting married turns you into a money-grubbing lunatic with a very short fuse. Yes, it was your big day and, yes, you didn't get the flowers that you wanted. I can understand asking for a full refund, but suing for 15 times the amount that you paid seems more than a bit over the top. Especially when you consider that probably no one is going to remember what your flowers looked like because they were all too busy being happy for you. And this is all to say nothing of looking like a total crazy as your story gets distributed across the nation on the AP wire.

So yet another reason to add to the list of reasons why I'm reconsidering the whole dream wedding thing. Among the other nuptial related traditions I've eschewed:
  • Changing my last name - I happen to like the way my name sounds. Not to mention the hegemony of supplanting part of your identity with someone else's.
  • The big rock - Two words: blood diamonds.

Given that I've decided to bypass these marriage staples, it's beginning to make sense to bypass the whole carnival.

No comments: